Release Date: 10/08/2009
Launched by Trojan late in 1969, the ‘Reggae Chartbusters’ album series swiftly became one of the best-selling lines in the company’s catalogue.
Following the simple, but effective formula of highlighting a dozen of the biggest Reggae hits of the preceding months, the LPs provided a showcase for both Trojan and the new style from Jamaica.
Released annually, each of the albums topped the Reggae album charts, even out-selling the much vaunted ‘Tighten Up’ collections, yet surprisingly the series only ran for three years before being brought to a sudden stop in 1972.
Now, some 40 years since the release of the first ‘Reggae Chartbusters’ LP, the seminal line has been revived, the original trio of releases augmented by another three volumes, each of which highlights the most popular Reggae sounds from a specific period.
Volume One brings together a selection of favourites from the late sixties, when the genre was still in its embryonic stage, while subsequent collections trace the music’s development, covering all styles from ‘Skinhead Reggae’ through to the Roots, Dub and Lovers music of the close of the following decade.
Included among the 120 classic tracks on these 6 CDs are over 40 major UK chart hits, with every major Reggae artist from the sixties and seventies featured along the way. Also included are a number of one-hit wonders, such as Horace Faith, the Hot Shots and Blue Haze and who enjoyed a spectacularly brief moment in the spotlight.
Never previously made available on CD, each collection faithfully retains the style of their respective period, with booklets jam-packed with relevant ephemera and fascinating commentaries, written by original Trojan employee, Rob Bell, recalling the label’s early history and the recordings that established it as the world’s greatest Reggae label.
First issued as 1969 came to a close, the initial ‘Reggae Chartbusters’ volume served as an introduction to the exciting new sound emanating from Jamaica. Featuring significant breakthrough hits by the likes of Desmond Dekker, the Harry J All Stars, Jimmy Cliff and the Upsetters, the collection became an instant best-seller, topping the newly formed UK Reggae charts for months on end. Now, the original dozen tracks are supplemented by eight equally impressive bonus cuts, including major sides from Max Romeo, Lee Perry and the Maytals.
1. Jimmy Cliff - Wonderful World, Beautiful People 03:12
2. Dandy - Reggae In Your Jeggae 02:57
3. Desmond Dekker & The Aces - Israelites 02:35
4. Symarip - Skinhead Moonstomp 02:59
5. The Pioneers - Poor Rameses 02:32
6. Harry J Allstars - Liquidator 03:05
7. The Upsetters - Return Of Django 02:30
8. Tony Tribe - Red Red Wine 02:55
9. The Pioneers - Long Shot Kick De Bucket 02:48
10. Boris Gardiner - Elizabethan Reggae 02:28
11. Desmond Dekker & The Aces - It Mek 02:25
12. The Melodians - Sweet Sensation 03:52
13. Max Romeo - Wet Dream 02:48
14. Lee "Scratch" Perry & The Upsetters - People Funny Boy 02:35
15. Beltones - No More Heartache 02:34
16. The Upsetters - Dollar In the Teeth 02:34
17. The Ethiopians - Everything Crash 02:31
18. The Maytals - Pressure Drop '72 02:58
19. Pat Kelly - How Long Will It Take 03:10
20. Derrick Morgan - Moon Hop 03:09